Monday, March 1, 2010

Group E Response

I believe that their journeys had somewhat to do with the love for nature as well as family. McCandless has always been adventerous and doesn't listen to anyone when they get in the way of his ideas or dreams. It doesn't surprise me that he went off on an adventure all by himself despite the dangers of living in the wild. Also, I don't think it is coincedence that he left after he found out about all the lies that his father had kept from him for years. He had a very strong relationship with his sister so it may be confusing why he would leave her, but also money came into play. Remember, he grew up in a household with not much money, but then when his family became successful, they spent there money frivelously and Chris didn't respect that at all. He might have exaggerated his family issues to use as an excuse because he wanted to go on an adventure and this was his excuse out.

2 comments:

  1. i like this response i completely forgot about how close he was to his sister and the whole money thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you somewhat but I think the main reason that he left and went on this "adventure" was the fact of his family. I know that if I found out that my dad had this secret family and he never told me about it then I would be very angry. Also he said in the book how he was searching for truth and I think that ties back into the whole wealth thing. He did not appreciate the shallowness or superficial people he was around that just threw their money around. As to his sister, I think its just the fact that he was carrying all of this pain and bitterness around and even she could not give him comfort. The only comfort he could find was to leave and go away on his "adventure"

    ReplyDelete